Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Association at 1660 International Drive, Suite 600, McLean VA, USA
APHON is managed by MCI USA at 1660 International Drive, Suite 600, McLean VA, USA, a nonprofit management firm.
APHON acts as data controller in respect of your personal information that we process.
Information We Collect
- Information We Collect Directly from You
From Visitors to the Site
When you visit our site or contact us by e-mail or by using a web form, we may collect personal information about you, including but not limited to: contact information, such as your name, home or other physical address, email, telephone number, and any other information you choose to provide.
From Visitors who make a purchase on the Site
When you place an order using the Site, we may collect personal information about you, including but not limited to: contact information, such as your name, home or other physical address, email, telephone number; credit card information; and any other information you choose to provide.
From publicly available sources
We occasionally use LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to collect personal information about you, such as the city or country in which you reside or what type of law you practice.
- Information We Collect Automatically
We may also collect information regarding how you interact with the Site, which may include pages you view, selections you make on the Site, features you use, preferences you set, your web browser type and version, the operating system type and version of the device you are using to access the Site, cookies, the Internet protocol (IP) address of the device you are using to access the Site (or any portion thereof), physical location, how you arrived at our site and Internet service provider.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the Collected Information for a variety of purposes, including without limitation:
- Administering, improving, maintaining, and supporting the Site;
- Processing your payment if you place an order using the Site;
- Organizing events and conferences;
- Maintaining records of Committee members;
- Maintaining records of event participants;
- Providing you with international legal updates, analysis, and insights;
- Communicating with you and respond to your inquiries, requests, or orders;
- Performing data analytics;
- Sending you the information you request from us and promotional materials regarding our projects and events;
- Creating a more personalized user experience;
- Engaging in marketing activities;
- Creating an aggregated data set; and
- Preventing fraudulent activity.
For each purpose, we must have legal grounds for such processing. In respect of your personal information, the legal grounds we rely on are:
- Our performance of a contract with you;
- Us having an appropriate business need to use your data, and such need does not overly prejudice you;
- You having given your explicit consent for us to use your personal information;
- Us having a legal or regulatory obligation to use your data; and
- The necessity to use your data to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
Sharing the Collected Information
We share Collected Information with our internal teams and management firm via internal reports and via access to central IT systems. We also disclose your personal information for the reasons and to the third parties listed below:
- As is necessary to allow our service providers or agents to provide services to us or on our behalf, including without limitation, for the development, hosting and maintenance of the Site, organizing events and conferences, filing VAT returns and for payment processing;
- If you are a member of APHON, with other professional societies, publishers, or other organizations to provide member benefits such as notification of upcoming conferences, events, publications, or the like;
- If you are a member of APHON, we will include part of your personal information in our public membership directory. Please note that via your member profile, you can opt-out of having your information published online;
- As is required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process, with regulatory authorities or law enforcement agencies;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, investigate fraud or respond to a government request, with our professional advisers;
- In the event of a corporate transaction, including a merger, acquisition, financing, dissolution, or due diligence activities associated with any of the foregoing, of all or a portion of our assets;
- In the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, personal information may also be transferred as a business asset of APHON;
- As you otherwise request or authorize; and
- As otherwise permitted by law.
Please note that in some cases we may not be able to comply with your request because of our own obligations to comply with other legal or regulatory requirements. We will, however, always respond to any request you make and if we cannot comply with your request, we will tell you why.
Your rights are:
- The right to access your data
You are entitled to a copy of the personal information we hold about you and certain details of how we use it. Your information will usually be provided to you in writing, unless otherwise requested, or where you have made the request by electronic means, in which case the information will be provided to you by electronic means where possible.
- The right to rectification
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate and complete. However, if you do not believe this is the case, you can ask us to update or amend it.
- The right to erasure
In certain circumstances, you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information.
- The right to restriction of processing
In certain circumstances, you are entitled to ask us to stop using your personal information.
- The right to data portability
In certain circumstances, you have the right to ask that we transfer any personal information that you have provided to us to another third party of your choice.
- The right to object to marketing
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing communications at any time.
- The right to withdraw consent
For certain uses of your personal information, we will ask for your consent. Where we do this, you have the right to withdraw your consent to further use of your personal information.
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
You have a right to complain to the supervisory authority established in your EU Member State if you believe that any use of your personal information by us is in breach of applicable data protection laws and regulations. Making a complaint will not affect any other legal rights or remedies that you have.
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information about the services we provide which may be of interest to you where you have provided your consent for us to do so. This information may include alerts, newsletters, and invitations to events. We will communicate this to you in several ways including by post, telephone, email or other digital channels.
We are committed to only sending you marketing communications that you have clearly expressed an interest in receiving. If you wish to unsubscribe from marketing communications sent by us or wish to change your settings, you may choose to do so at any time in one of the following ways:
- correct, update, and delete your online account, if you have one;
- change your choices for subscriptions and certain communications from within your online account;
- choose whether to receive promotions and offers from us from within your online account;
- request that we do not list your information in our membership directory; and/or
- request that we do not share your personal information with third parties.
You may exercise such choices by contacting us via your online account via firstname.lastname@example.org, or by following instructions provided in our communications sent to you.
Please note that because we plan our communications in advance, it may take a few days for your request to become effective. If you continue to receive our communications after expressing an opt-out preference, please let us know so that we can investigate the situation.
Using the Site from outside the United States
How Long We Keep Collected Information
How We Protect Collected Information
California Privacy Rights
Under California law, California residents have the right to request in writing from businesses with whom they have an established business relationship, (a) a list of the categories of personally identifiable information, such as name, e-mail, and mailing address, and the type of services provided to the customer, that a business has disclosed to third parties (including affiliates that are separate legal entities) during the immediately preceding calendar year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes and (b) the name and address of all such third parties. To request the above information, please email us at: email@example.com with a reference to California Disclosure Information.
California and Delaware “Do Not Track” Disclosures
The Site is intended for a general audience and is not intended for use or view by children under 16 years of age without parental consent, and we do not knowingly collect information about children or sell products to children. We will not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 16. If you are under the age of 16, you must ask your parent or guardian to assist you in using the Site.
Links to Third-Party Websites and Social Media Platforms
Approved December 2023