September 8 is Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day
Established in 2010 by the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (APHON), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day is celebrated each year on September 8. We salute all pediatric hematology/oncology nurses on this day for their life-long commitment to children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer or blood disorders and their families.
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, and what a fine complement to that month, should we establish a day recognizing those nurses who care for the day-to-day needs of children with cancer and blood disorders, guiding families through the most difficult circumstances anyone can experience.
The Calling of the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurse
Encourage your colleagues to celebrate with you! Download and print these posters for your break-room, office, community boards, and more!
Count Down to America
We are off to a great start getting Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Day officially recognized in a couple of states. You can help APHON get this day recognized all across the nation. For information on how you can get Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Day officially established in your state, contact APHON Headquarters.
Ways to Celebrate
Get Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day Recognized at the state level
Local Media Recognition
Have Pediatric Nurses’ Day recognized in media outlets.
- Local TV News
- Local Newspapers
- Local Radio
Snap, Tag, Connect! Share your pics, tag @aphoninsta76 on Instagram and APHON1 on Facebook. Join the #APHON community today!
Have the Day Recognized at Your Hospital
Promote Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day within the institution that supports your chapter in one of the following ways:
- Intranet posting recognizing the day
- Display Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day posters within the hospital(s) that support your chapter
- Place celebratory balloons in the nursing break rooms
- Ice cream socials or another special treat giveaway
Organize or sponsor a self-care activity for pediatric hematology/oncology nurses
Establish an internal way to recognize pediatric hematology/oncology nurses in institutions that support your chapter. Below are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Issue certificates of appreciation
- Social media posts recognizing a nurse of the day, week or month
- Send an internal e-mail recognizing a nurse of the day, week or month
- Distribute Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses’ Day pins or wear them if you already own one
Thank You Program
Create a thank you program for nurses and patients to thank/recognize individual nurses. Below are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Thank you note cards that can be given to individual nurses by colleagues or patients and families.