International Nurse Scholarship Program
APHON offers two scholarships that provide an opportunity for a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse from a low-/middle-income country to attend the APHON annual conference and exhibit each year. The 47th Annual Conference will be held September 21–23, 2023, at the Huntington Convention Center & Hilton Cleveland Downtown in Cleveland, Ohio.
The purpose of the APHON International Nurse Scholarship program is to provide financial assistance to a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse from a low-/middle-income country to attend the APHON annual conference.
The scholarship covers airfare, taxi, hotel, meals, and the conference registration fee, up to a maximum of $5,000 USD. The recipient will be responsible for any expenses beyond $5,000 USD.
Pediatric hematology/oncology nurses from a low-/middle-income country who meet the below criteria are eligible for the scholarship:
- Must be able to speak and understand English at a level to understand the clinical content that will be presented at the conference without interpretation.
- Must have or be eligible for a US visa. If the nurse does not currently hold a US visa, he/she must be able to obtain one in a timely fashion to allow adequate time to book a reasonably priced airline ticket.
- Must complete both the narrative and video portion of the application in order for the application to be considered complete and reviewed.
- The recipient must agree to be interviewed for APHON Counts, the APHON newsletter, during the conference for an article that will be published about the recipient’s experience.
- The recipient agrees to provide a summary 1 year after attending the conference explaining how they benefited from attending the conference and how their professional practice was enhanced.
- Applicants must not have previously been awarded the International Nurse Scholarship. Those who have applied previously and did not receive the Scholarship may apply again. Scholarship recipients who are interested in attending another APHON Annual Conference & Exhibit may register for the event with their own funds.
If applicable, the sponsoring APHON local chapter must be willing to assist the applicant in making all travel arrangements. A member of the local chapter must agree to be responsible for arranging transportation for the recipient to and from the conference hotel and serve as the recipient’s buddy’ during the conference. (If you do not have a relationship with an APHON local chapter, APHON will recruit a sponsor to serve in your capacity for you).
Completed applications must include the applicant’s CV and employer consent form and be received by March 31.